We first visited Telluride in summer 2001. We went back Spring Break 2002 to try skiing as a family. Little Tyler went to ski school and was zooming around that first afternoon like a pro, no poles, no big deal. My mom, dad, Amanda and me took a private lesson. I was okay...I hated the boots (they forced my feet to flex and it's so uncomfortable!), the skis were so long and very awkward, and it just did not come naturally to me. We went up this little mechanical belt, got off and practiced going down a hill. (Hill = at most a 15 degree angle!) I still didn't like it, but you hear you have to try for like 2 days until you get it. So we decided we were ready to go down a green run. I HATED it. HATED. I felt like I was going so fast, no matter what. I skied in "pizza" position the whole time, no "french fries", and I still felt too fast. My mom showed me how to ski across the run in wide turns to slow me down also. I did it all, I just did not like the feeling. Finally I got sick of it and ran myself into a snow pile on the side of the run to stop. My ski popped off. That was it. Both skis came off and I hiked down that darn run carrying my skis and poles. And I was beyond irritated when I got down to the bottom and had to put my skis back on to ride the lift back up! The lift was actually okay except when I got off, I couldn't pull myself into standing position, so I skied a little crouched down then fell over. It was awesome, needless to say. I had had it. I popped off my skis again, dropped off all my gear and never returned to the slopes again. I still love visiting in the winter - the snow is so beautiful and there are plenty of fun things to do. Tubing, ice skating, shopping, getting massages, reading, relaxing...it's my kind of vacation! Like relaxing at the beach except no fish, salt water, or sand!
This year is Jeremy's first year to visit Telluride in the winter and even though he probably hasn't skied in 10 years, he can't wait to try it again! I promised I would try once more with him but I'm not 100% sure on that...I get mini-panic attacks when I think about being back out on the slopes. I am going to wait and see how I feel when we get there. Amanda will be there snowboarding, so Jeremy will still have a buddy. I know I should try again...
Anyway, my whole point is that since we haven't skied in forever, we both needed some new ski stuff. My ski pants didn't fit when I wore then in 2002 so it's a given they will not fit now and Jeremy got some hand-me-downs from his dad. Very nice...but very 80's! (Sorry Tony!) So we made the trek out to the outlets on 290 last night and it turned out to be very successful and cheap! We each got a new ski jacket for under $90, gloves for $15 and I got ski pants for $40. Such a steal! We are going to look totally hot on the slopes...even if I'm just eating a crepe and drinking hot chocolate! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment