2.23.2009

Meg's Oscar Review

I enjoyed the Academy Awards this year. I thought Hugh Jackman was funny and did a good job. I read an article on MSN saying they didn't think it was as edgy as Jon Stewart hosting or as showy as Billy Crystal. While I am sure Billy Crystal was a great host (I can't remember ever seeing him host), I don't think we always need to see edgy. Go be edgy at the Spirit awards, let us enjoy the Oscars in peace. Maybe I just want to see Hugh Jackman, Beyonce, Amanda Seyfried, the other guy from Mama Mia, Zach Efron and Vanessa Hudgens sing and dance. Maybe I could care less about Obama, the election (that already happened), etc. I want to watch people in pretty dresses, okay? So sue me.
I regret to say I did not see ANY of the nominated movies this year! Not a single one! Wait, scratch that, I did see Wall-E, The Dark Knight and Tropic Thunder. So there! But I will shortly be adding Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, The Reader, The Wrestler, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Revolutionary Road to our Netflix list! Needless to say, I can't really comment on any of the winners. I understand Heath Ledger winning Best Supporting Actor and he was amazing, but I do think Robert Downey, Jr. was fabulous in Tropic Thunder. See, I actually did see both of those so I can comment!
How funny was the Seth Rogen and James Franco thing? Pineapple Express is being added to our Netflix list, too!
Now onto my favorite part ever...red carpet fashion!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorites:

Natalie Portman in Rodarte. She is FLAWLESS.


Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab and amazing emerald jewels (my birthstone!)

Anne Hathaway in Armani on the Red Carpet and in her lovely dress during the opening with Hugh Jackman - love them both! She rarely does us wrong.



Taraji P. Henson (from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) in Roberto Cavalli


Sarah Jessica Parker in Dior haute couture - some may have said this is too poofy, sequined and frilly but I don't believe there is such a thing (correction: see Mily Cyrus below). The dress looked even prettier (and a little more blue-ish and colorful) on TV.

Freida Pinto in John Galliano. I am just happy she didn't wear white, ivory, cream or champagne! But really I do like it because she is gorgeous and it's something different.


Reese Witherspoon in Rodarte


Marion Cotillard, former Best Actress winner, in Dior couture - clearly I am enjoying the black & blue combo!

My not-so-favorites:

Sophia Loren in Armani Prive...oh, no, girl. I know you can find something that doesn't accentuate your crispy skin with the color and 80's ruffles!

Penelope Cruz in a 60-year-old vintage Balmain gown...which looks to have been a wedding dress at some point? I know it was a favorite, but I did not like it at all. Too wedding-y, I didn't like the top and her bangs make her look like a boy. Harsh, I know, but she's done so much better in the past!!

Oh, Miss Miley (in Zuhair Murad). I know you're young and can get away with more, but I am not letting you off the hook on this one. You had to have had 20 people advising you on your dress choice and they all failed you. It's too much - the fish scales, the diferent colored sequins, the belt. I would have gone for something more like what Natalie Portman wore - a bright, fun color and some sparkle.

Melissa George (most recently seen as 'Sadie' on Grey's Anatomy) in Dolce & Gabbana - this is everything I didn't like about the fashion last night - white (i.e. colorless), mermaid silouhette, plus her top looks like an undergarmet. Bleh.

Jessica Biel, the technical awards host from a couple weeks ago, in Prada. I. Do. Not. Like. This. Not flattering in style or color. I seriously don't think she washed her hair. And I know sometimes it's easier to do day-old hair, but usually it's teased and hairsprayed and it doesn't look dirty. Her hair looks dirty. Don't be dirty for the Oscars, okay?

No comments: