8.26.2008

Rocky Mountain High

Since Meg is out of town of town on business, I decided that I would take this opportunity to hijak the blog and speak my piece regarding the election and be done with it for quite some time (barring John Edwards knocking up a Lewinski).

Let me give you a disclaimer of my political ideaology. I am a Republican. I am both a social and economic conservative. I do break from the party on items like gun control, but you can pretty much figure out where I'd vote on topics from there.

I have no issue with Obama as a man. I think his wife is a self absorbed heaping bag of crazy, but he has done nothing to irritate me outside of standing on the opposite of several key issues. Neat guy, but not for me.

Without further ado, here is my stream of consciousness thoughts on the DNC as it happens:

Obama is not Abe Lincoln. Seriously. Drop it. I think wrinkle free pants are nice, can we say he is a lot like that too?

Economics classes for everyone at the convention, on me! Topics - taxes, supply and demand, and the 'free hand' of the market. Added history section on socialism.

I know you don't want more of the same, but what do you want? Seriously? Its just like the Kerry campaign 'Anyone but Bush'. What are your concrete ideas? You're unhappy but what are you going to do that is so different from what everyone else is trying to do? Marinate on it, let me know.

Oil dependency goes back to supply and demand. I'm tired of hearing about it. George Bush doesn't put a gun to your head and make you consume oil. Do we need to be less dependent, yes, but you can't claim to have invented that idea. Yes, oil is subsidized because of the amount they spend on exploration and the fact that regardless of percent, they still are some of the largest contributers to the country's coffers. The idea was offered that after 9/11 Bush should have called upon us to ween ourselves off of oil instead of war. Yes, b/c we're having so much success with that same argument now. My car runs on gas and that hasn't changed.

Who made democrats the green kings? Before the energy crisis, where were you? Again, you can't claim to invent these ideas. Do you know what is fostering the boom? Not democrats, its demand! suprise! If there was no money in green, it would be a dead idea.

McCain has seven homes. He has money, real estate is a sound investment. What is the issue? If you wanna talk houses, lets talk about your inconvenient golden boy Al.

The mortgage crisis is definately the republicans fault. It has nothing to do with market risk and volatility. Obviously there has never been a crisis in the past. Life is full of risks. It doesn't mean you should get a handout every time things don't go your way. Hand outs are not a solution. Hard work and accountability are.

Joe Biden is from Scranton??? How did I not know that? He'll win my vote without a doubt if wears a 'Dunder Mifflin' hat to the convention.

FYI - Bush isn't on the ticket, I'm suprised how many people don't know that at the convention.

Some 80 yr old woman just used her stage time to discuss women's suffrage and equal pay? Seriously? I don't think anyone is contesting that. It was pretty well wrapped up in 1963. Any fact checkers want to verify that?

Global warming is still not conclusive, and not exclusively a republican issue. I'm on your side team. I think environmental responsibility should always be exercised, but it should not be replaced with environmental alarmism.

Ace Hardware commercial. Nice.

"Every kid will be trained in jobs of the 21st century"....and you wonder why people think liberalism is the new communism.

Hillary doesn't want her image used in McCain ads? You said that stuff, not us. Own what you said, at least we can respect you...well for that.

Okay, I'm even tired of my commentary. Obama is going to get up and say a bunch of stuff like 'Change', 'Different', 'More of the same', and 'I am the next great hope'. I'll leave you with that. Until one candidate shows me something worth taking notice, i'll be thinking...


No comments: