8.21.2008

I'm bored...

And unfortunately any readers will have to deal with the consequences! I try to resist posting nonsense, but today I can't help myself. I have a HUGE stack of reports to type and other work issues to deal with, but I'm going to pretend like they don't exist right now and blog!

First, I watched Oprah yesterday (it was a re-run, but new to me) and it was all about this book, The Gift of Fear. Basically this guy wants us to know if we have a "weird" feeling, that's our intuition telling us something is wrong and we should listen to it. And seriously, how often have we pushed those thoughts back for the sake of "being polite"? He made a good point - if you're waiting for the elevator and it opens and a creepy guy is in it, we usually get it in anyway because it's so rude to let the door close, etc. He said we're the only animal that would get into a soundproof, locked (essentially), steel box with someone who gave us a bad feeling. True! It was kind of interesting to hear people's stories about ignoring their intuition and then what happened. One woman found video evidence of her caregiver beating her elderly father, which was horrible to watch a man in a diaper getting beaten. Another girl noticed stuff in her apartment would sometimes be out of place and got scared enough to install a Nanny-cam, with which she found some old creeper (I don't remember if it was her landlord or someone else) entering her apartment, trying on her lingerie and probably doing even grosser things. I remembered hearing that story a while back...and to feel so unsafe in your own home or apartment, how awful! Anyway, Oprah usually delivers on boring evenings, so thanks for the show!

I have decided because the list seems SO long of stuff we need to do to our house, we need to set smaller goals for each month or every few weeks to make it more manageable. Sunday I spent most of the day organizing all our mail and papers, creating files, and even putting together 2 file cabinets from Target. I was so productive! So the goal to get our study organized has been met! Yay for me! I think our list goes like this:
-Landscaping front & back yard
I know this is a rather large goal, but I don't even know where to start yet! I think my sweet in-laws are coming over this weekend to help us come up with a plan. Basically it involves tearing down an old shed in the back & the stone pathway, laying sod in the back, removing a ton of crap from the back and front, taking a couple small trees down, replacing the back fence due to rot...eventually we'll get to the fun stuff like planting! I LOVE having a backyard for the dogs, but honestly, I don't know how people do it and sometimes townhomes look pretty appealing!
-Repainting the kitchen, bedroom, hall, bathrooom and guest room the same neutral color
-Flooring? Our hardwoods are terrible, so we'd like to investigate refinishing vs. laying new vs. laying tile.
-New cabinet hardware (Jeremy staunchly opposes this, for whatever reason, but it will happen!)
-Possibly refinish the kitchen and bathroom cabinets to be white
-Update bathroom (new lighting, sinks, counter, etc.)
-New windows...not sure if it's worth the investment, but we can check on it.
End goal: Sell the house in another year, or like it enough to keep living there! :)

I guess this will be the last bit of my post for today...it's time for lunch anyway...I saw this in entertainment news and Jeremy will be happy!
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20220297,00.html
Jeremy is a HUGE Julianne fan (of course I am too!) from Dancing with the Stars, so he'll probably be happy she at least is not engaged anymore. She was too young! Yay for Julianne!

We're such big Julianne fans we even named a recipe after her. It's this fabulous old recipe of my mom's she got from growing up in Wharton, TX and she calls it Hot Chicken Salad. Right after we got married, I made it every Monday night DWTS came on, so we re-named it Chicken Julianne.

No comments: